Idle Hour Theater (Now the Moonlight Theatre)
Built in 1900, the Idle Hour Theater, located at 7 South Second Avenue, was known in its early years solely for its live Vaudeville entertainment stemming from various different shows from both traveling and local groups.
Famous names like John Phillip Sousa and his orchestra among others drew packed houses of eager enthusiasts. This entertainment hot spot had a 325-seat auditorium and charged a ten-cent admission for adults and five cents for children.
The theater saw a sharp increase in popularity when it began to incorporate silent movies, beginning with “A Wonderful Night,” in 1914. Another well-liked attraction for the Idle Hour was the addition of multi-part serials that continued from week to week, comparable to today’s soap operas. The Idle Hour Theater closed in 1926. The last film shown there was Lon Chaney starring in “Road to Mandalay”. The Idle Hour Theater building went through many owners and housed several different businesses over the years. The Idle Hour Theatre’s history will live on and restored to it’s former glory as Moonlight Theatre.
Built in 1900
100+ years old
Weekly music acts, full-scale theatrical productions, cabaret, stand-up comedy, improv, open mic, children’s theater, workshops.
Rentable Space for events!